Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Retirement, hum...

I'm so embarrassed. I apologize to my followers. I really planned to write here regularly, but life gets in the way.

I finally realized this spring, that it was time to start doing the things that years ago I wanted to do when I retired. Of course I'm not retired full time. Couldn't do that. In fact I've started a new job.

All my life, I wanted to earn my living from a variety of things at the same time. And I've always done free lance graphic design. Last fall, I studied tax return preparation and did that during the tax season this year. So now I'm going to be doing some contract work with a local "inspection" agency. I'll be driving all over the county taking pictures of houses for mortgage and banking companies. Very interesting. Thought I'd be taking nice drives, but it fast and complicated. But fun. It's gotta be fun.

I'll be doing tax return preparation for Jackson-Hewitt in January. And to that end, I passed the federal Registered Tax Return Preparer test. So I'm not a certified RTRP. make sure yours is.

I also accumulated all the credits to earn Prevention Certification Level II, which means I can prevent things.

But back to the things I wanted to do when I retired. One of those things was doing a lot of gardening. Flowers, not vegetables. Been there, done that out of necessity. Don't have to now. So, one of the trees in our front yard has a ton of roots above the ground, which makes mowing difficult. I make it a shade garden: ferns, hostas, caladiums, and some flowers. I have always loved bleeding hearts. They flowers are beautiful and the plant is light and airy.

      (Stole this photo from Flower Library.)

So I planted one. They're expensive, well kinda. And I don't think it made it. Saw the last of it a couple weeks ago, the leaves were brown and hanging down. Next time I looked, it was gone. But I'll try again next year. Of course, this one might come back. We'll see.

Planted a bunch of caladiums under the dogwood tree next to the birdbath. My favorite scene of the birdbath is when the cat, Trucker, gets up there to drink. Very bird friendly. With all the heat this year, I had to water a bunch. Keeps you in touch with your plants. When it was wet, I missed that.

I also wanted to start quilting, so in the spring I made a quilt for a very dear friend of mine. I thought it was going to be a lap quilt, but she is kinda short, so she uses it as a bed quilt. I think it might be a little short. It's one big heart. You can see it on my facebook page. She uses it every day and even took it on vacation with her. She's a good friend.

Now, I've just finished a quilt for another friend. It's Halloween colors and fabrics and it's for his 14th birthday. He was born on Halloween, so I thought this would be an appropriate birthday present. I'm going to give it to him today or tomorrow so he can enjoy it for a while. Halloween's one of those holidays, that when it's over, it's over. Don't think he'll want it hanging around after that. May though.

Well, I've got a headachy sinus infection and I'm out of energy. I'll try to get back here before too long. Thanks for following my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment