Thursday, July 21, 2011

Another one bites the dust!

Across town, one of the oldest factories is being torn down. It's been there as long as I can remember. I'm not sure what it was originally built for, but it's main use was manufacturing shoes. Genesco Shoe Factory. My sister-in-law's parents worked there when she was a kid. I've known other people who had family who worked there.

It has been unused as a factory for a couple years, now and I frequently thought it would be a great place to convert into loft apartments.

One of the neatest things is, it has it's own water tower. Sticks way up above all the closest building and is old. Guess that is the neatest things about the whole building. It's old. I googled Genesco and found out it was built by the city and rented to the General Shoe Company for $1 per year. It was completed in 1934. Almost 80 years old. And now it's mostly gone. Right after the 1929 depressions, it was the "Savior" of the town.

I took a picture a couple years ago of a sycamore tree that was growing out of the roof. I'd include that photograph, but it's on the hard drive of my old computer that crashed Wednesday. Hopefully I'll be able to upload that data to my new laptop very soon.

I took several pictures of the Genesco ruins last week and it has some great lines. Here are a couple of them along with the water tower.



Loved that sky, too.

And here are a couple I took today.



I have to say, this is the cleanest destruction site I've ever seen. See the first photo.

And oh, the reason I am so fascinated by this deconstruction? I should have been an architect. But that's another blog.

Got my data back so here's the sycamore growing on the roof of the old Genesco building.


Enjoy!

1 comment: